…at the University of Rochester
During my four year as senior science writer and press officer I was responsible for publicizing newsworthy research from five university departments: physics and four engineering disciplines. Media coverage obtained includes New York Times, BBC News (including front page three times), CNN (including featured story for a whole day), Scientific American, The Economist, Gizmodo, El Pais and many more.
Sample press releases
- Laser-generated surface structures create extremely water-repellent metals
- Gigantic ring system around J1407b much larger, heavier than Saturn’s
- Researchers use laser to levitate glowing nanodiamonds in vacuum
- Close encounters of a tidal kind could lead to cracks on icy moons
- A picture is worth 1000 words, but how many emotions?
- A close call of 0.8 light years
- Read more stories by me
…at Sense About Science
Some highlights of my four and a half years at Sense About Science include:
- I planned the initial stages of international development of the non-profit organization and managed relationships with partners and key individuals (including donors, supporters and high-profile scientists).
- I coordinated the campaign that culminated with the inclusion in the UK’s Ministerial Code of a reference to the Principles for Independent Scientific Advice. The Principles were produced working with the scientific community in the UK so their concerns about the proper consideration of independent scientific advice and safeguarding of the academic freedom of advisors were taken on board by the Government.
- I coordinated the production of the following public guides, including editing the guides and planning their launches: